Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Scissortail Classic - Horses - and Belle

                                View from Scissortail Handler's Post


     I used to host the Scissortail Classic.  Tthe handler would stand at the post right about where I took the above picture.(It was getting dark, so sorry for the quality of the picture). When at the post you could send the dog right or left.  Both directions required going down, then up, then down, then up.  On each up the dog could see the sheep.  On each down they disappeared.  Then the fetch was back through the draw.  The big pond was not created yet so, no, they didn't have to swim the sheep to your feet.   They were in view on the entire fetch.  Fun times.  Fun course.  Different.  Not the best course I've seen. That would be Bob Roe's Course in Omaha Ark.  My course was interesting.  Bob Roe's course was grand.


                                 Chapel/Tea Room where handler's post used to be.
     Now we have our little tea room chapel where the handler used to stand.  Isn't it pretty.  Lovely panoramic view.  You can feel yourself decompress whilst you sit there.  Day break or twilight.  Both the same. 

                                 Belle by the little pond.  Behind her is Chapel Tea Room.


                             Across the big pond looking back towards Handler's Post


     For about six years I held the Scissortail Classic Sheepdog Trial.  It was a well attended regional trial that drew the usual suspects and big hats.  Folks liked the course and since I've started this blog several have emailed me reminiscing about the trial field.  I'm hoping Nancy Duley and Yancy Paul might resurrect the Name and hold a trial of their own called the Scissortail Classic.  We have a Traveling Trophy ready. 

     My sheep escaped my pasture for lesser grass.  Go figure.  Why would they leave a field of good grass and go through a tiny hole only a fox can penetrate, all to enjoy a weedy while amongst strangers?  Beats me.  

     Plus there are horses in the pasture.  I studied and decided this was the time to see how Belle works around horses since they'll spot with horses at the Nationals.   So we loaded up and commenced to wrangle the sheep back home.  Horses make me nervous.  They're big.  They can kick and bite.   A big vicious dog doesn't scare me.  A any kind of horse scares me a little. 

     Horses and dogs together make me cautious.   Could I get the sheep out of the horse pasture? Yes.  Could I do it without a nosy horse coming up and assaulting little Belle?  I found out I could!  All went smooth.  The horses came running up to see what was up.  She ignored them and kept on working just fine.  I am thinking the finals spotting might not be a problem?  Sort of.  No rider was mounted on these horses.   But still, it's a horse right? 

     Lastly,  I asked for advice on the prep for the finals.  I was most pleased with one suggestion.  "Relax, enjoy it all."  You know what,  I think I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment